Have you always wanted to add some flair to your home but don’t know where to start? Or do you have an interior design project coming up and need help keeping within the budget? Do you need someone to help you decorate before selling, or perhaps you’re redecorating your home for your family? My name is Andi, and I’m here to help. Let me show you how:
Interior designers can combine the roles of interior architects, interior decorators, and interior stylists. Confused? I’ll explain. All of them are interior design professionals, but they all have different specialities. It’s important to choose the right professional for your project (more on that below).
Understanding the difference between interior professionals
In this guide, we’ll go through the various specializations of each interior design professional so you can pick the best options to work with for a successful project or renovation.
There are many different types of interior professionals, but they all have one thing in common – the ability to transform properties into more stylish living spaces. With so many options deciding which professional is the right one for you can seem overwhelming at first! Here’s what those different titles mean:
An interior architect can create a floor plan or sketch-up layouts before designing finishing touches (furniture placement). They understand the world of architectural design, spatial planning, ergonomics, and can maximize the practical capabilities of every area. They’ll also assess building integrity issues (such as leaks), so you know what needs attention ahead of time.
Interior stylists work more on the aesthetic of a room to create a stylish interior. They can use décor inspiration or elements such as lighting, wall decor, flooring and even upholstery items to help give your home an edge! These designers typically work with you one-on-one to determine your style or desired design theme. Once you know what you want, they can bring it to life!
Like interior stylists, interior decorators might not have studied architecture or engineering, but they’ll know a thing or two about how a room works and what makes it functional. The interior decorator can help you find your furniture and fixtures – combining them to create a cohesive, aesthetically pleasing space. Interior decorators have in-depth knowledge of textiles, materials and colour and have a vast network of suppliers. They are the person that makes a room look great!
Interior Designers combine the best of all three skill sets!
For too many homeowners, interior design is an afterthought – especially if they fear it might be expensive! But it doesn’t have to be. There are so many reasons why interior designers should be the first stop when renovating or building a new space for your home. Here’s what we believe:
- Interior design is about more than just throwing pillows on the couch and calling it done; interior designers do all of the work from start to finish, from spatial planning to styling and everything in between.
- Interior designers offer professional advice that will save you money in the long run.
- Interior designers understand how different styles affect each other and how they translate across various rooms.
- Interior designers know if what you are planning is even feasible or if it will end up costing you an arm and a leg.
- Interior designers have great relationships with various tradespeople – and that can save you time, money and frustration.
Summarising the different interior industry roles
Interior stylists work on the overall aesthetic of a room, while interior architects focus more specifically on the layout and function. Interior decorators can help curate and find unique pieces and furnishings to bring your room together. Best of all (we may be biased) are Interior Designers, who combine the top characteristics of all three to create spaces that are crisp, vibrant, practical – and reflect timeless interior décor trends.
All interior designers have different levels of training in each of these areas – but their budgets might vary depending on what they specialize in! No interior design project is too small or too big for me to handle, whether it’s a new house you’re building, renovating an existing space, or using décor to refresh the look of your current home. I can do wonders within any budget.
How do you decide which type of interior professional you need?
Here are some things to consider:
- What interior design skills do you need help with? Do you need soft furnishings and décor, full-scale renovation, or are you starting with the blank canvas of a new build?
- Is there a glaring interior design problem that needs to be fixed right away, or are you looking at a bigger reno down the track?
- Are you redecorating for your own family or for selling? These are vastly different priorities, and personal style versus what is currently trending may change.
- Do you want to completely transform your interior space, or just add some key finishing touches here and there?
Once you know what you need, you can search for interior professionals who have the right mix of interior design knowledge to help tackle your problem or project!
Choosing the right designer for you.
Interview your prospective interior designer first to make sure they make decisions based on your lifestyle and how you will be using the space. Interior designers should take into account every aspect of the interior – including renovations, appliances, lighting – or even artworks or existing furniture with importance to you that may need to be incorporated into the vision.
Only hire an interior designer who truly understands what you want before they start the job. What are your personal tastes, colours or styles of preference? This info should inform every decision made on the project. Without this insight, other interior designers will likely make decisions you don’t like. That’s why I first create mood boards with inspiration ideas to give the client a sense of what we can achieve together.
Here are some other questions to consider before deciding that it’s a perfect match:
- Do you want to bring the latest interior design trends into your home, or are you looking for a more timeless style that will stay relevant in the long term?
- Do you care about organic/sustainable materials? (I do).
- ‘What is the heart of this project?’ – the interior designer should approach every interior design project with this mindset. My goal is to find what’s important to YOU first.
I have extensive experience in interior design – so whatever your requirements are, let me put my skills to work for you!
What can an interior designer do for you?
No project is too big or too small – interior design can be done on any budget. So let me bring out the designer in you. I will work with your existing interior décor (furniture, wall colours, flooring etc.) to ensure it all comes together. I can also organize and manage every step of the interior design process for your project. I can style, decorate, and work within your construction plans. Previously, I have designed commercial and residential spaces, and I have industry contacts to assist with things outside of my skillset (I’m going to leave the actual drilling, carpentry, and upholstery tasks to the experts!).
So, in other words, you don’t need to get an architect just to plan the renovation of the back end of your house or for your new dream kitchen to be pride of place. You can get an interior specialist – an Interior Designer – to do this.
If you are considering any building or renovation work, the best place to start is to engage a professional, fully qualified Interior Designer. Check out the reasons below.
Five reasons to hire an Interior Designer
When you hire a professional Designer, you can expect five things throughout the interior decorating process:
- Timeliness – A quick turnaround time in terms of getting your plan executed.
- Affordability – Specifically targeted interior design services for your budget and lifestyle needs.
- Resources and Trade Contacts – Interior Designers work closely with professionals of all trades.
- Creative Problem Solving – A creative interior designer has what it takes to solve interior decorating challenges.
- Knowledge, Knowhow, and Flair – A good interior designer will be able to assist you in making smart decisions about the inside of your home.
But let’s not forget the most important reason to trust your interior space to your carefully chosen Interior Designer:
The “Wow” Factor
When you hire me as your professional Interior Designer, you can trust that your personal tastes will be heard and enhanced through my expertise, knowledge, and creative flare. Everything I do is designed around your personality and how you live in your space – whether it’s a home or workplace interior.
I provide in-depth advice that will ensure your interior design will look unique and stylish. My goal is to give your home that extra special something so that as soon as you (or your guests) enter the room, it will take your breath away for few seconds. A “wow” factor doesn’t have to be expensive to achieve; it is more a way to present and visualize the space.
So what are you waiting for? Don’t live a life without style! Get in touch with me today, and I’ll set about arranging an interior design consultation. And let’s give your home the wow factor you’ve been looking for!
Why Choose Smart Looking Homes?
Andi Henwood is the interior designer for you if you’re looking for someone with both professional experience and creative passion. No matter how big or small your budget, contact Andi for a personal design consultant who can take you from ideas to finished project.
Her projects included transforming room by room a house into a home. Andi proved to be amazing with all these projects which consisted of choosing new wall colours, carpets, artwork, furniture, and much more. Her eye for detail and perfection is unbelievable. We both feel Andi is the epitome of excellence in her field, she has an amazing talent.
Andi is such a lovely, genuine person who is easy to relate to and delightful to work with, and we are so very happy to have worked with her.